Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Stainless steel used in Chinese made grills

"Winston" wrote in message
On Thu, 28 Jul 2011 21:47:32 -0500, Ignoramus6004
wrote:

I bought a grill to put into the compressor that I aom converting into
a grill/pig roaster.

It is described as "stainless", but I recall that Chinese grill
stainless steel is something special.

As I may need to alter it a little bit, add tabs or drill holes, I
want to know what kind of stainless is it and what kind of welding rod
to use on it, and also, how can I drill it.

Chinese "anything" is a crap-shoot. Drilling stainless requires a
sharp bit, a slow cutting speed,and lots of pressure. You want the bit
to bite ALL the time. If it slides and heats, you are finished -
generally speaking.
As for welding, using the same alloy as the project works best - but
any stainless rod will likely be "good enough" since it is not
something that needs to look good close up. Best to stay with either
magnetic or non-magnetic, whichever the project is.
I'm not a professional welder - nor do I play one on TV - but I have
done some welding - including stainless - and a good friend of mine is
a real tig artist with SS.

Also, the thermal conductivity of SS is higher than plain
steel.

Uh, lower. By quite a bit.

--
Ed Huntress

It welds beautifully and you will be tempted to
weld without filler. As Ed Huntress mentioned, this is a
bad idea because element depletion will result in rust
surrounding the HAZ.

--Winston