Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Usual suspect Usual suspect is offline

Default How to cut woven fiberglass sheathing?

On Tue, 26 Jul 2011 14:45:04 -0500, DougC
wrote:

I got the heaters for my roller project from McMaster-Carr.

Also I picked up a bit of woven fiberglass (neat-resistant) sleeving.

The reason for the sleeving is that the heating rods may need to be
supported along the length, and I didn't know if the nichrome was
surface-conductive or not.

What is the best way to cut the fiberglass sheathing to keep it from
unraveling? I tried sticking it into the flame on the gas kitchen stove
and it burns down a bit that way.... I have an oxy-acetylene torch
around (which of course will do it) but wondered if anyone who worked
with it a lot knows of a better method.

Are you familiar with Sauereisen cements? I have used it to mount
heating elements in devices.

www.sauereisen.com/product_index/76.pdf