Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington David Billington is offline

Default How to cut woven fiberglass sheathing?

DougC wrote:
I got the heaters for my roller project from McMaster-Carr.

Also I picked up a bit of woven fiberglass (neat-resistant) sleeving.

The reason for the sleeving is that the heating rods may need to be
supported along the length, and I didn't know if the nichrome was
surface-conductive or not.

What is the best way to cut the fiberglass sheathing to keep it from
unraveling? I tried sticking it into the flame on the gas kitchen
stove and it burns down a bit that way.... I have an oxy-acetylene
torch around (which of course will do it) but wondered if anyone who
worked with it a lot knows of a better method.

Which elements did you buy. The ones I'm used to have an outer metal
sheath which is insulated from the internal heating element
and it's advisable to ground the outer sheath in case of a short, rare
but it does happen. For item such as glass annealing ovens this also
saves having to have an isolation switch to turn off the power to the
elements when the door is opened which would be required for safety with
bare wire elements.