Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Value of Cincinnati #2 tool and cutter grinder?

On Jul 25, 4:03*pm, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Mon, 25 Jul 2011 10:59:50 -0500, Ignoramus2004

wrote:
A company is offering to sell me some Cincinnati #2 tool and cutter
grinders.

I looked on ebay and I see a lot of dreamers hoping to get a lot of
money for them, but no actual sales.

This is a little bit of a giveaway to the situation, but I want to ask
anyway, how much are those things worth?

Also, how can I ascertain their condition?

Ive bought and sold a few over the last couple years...and they are
getting harder and harder to sell. The first couple sold for $2500
The second bunch went for $1500....

The last batch sold for $800....

See a trend here?

As for condition...that can be quite an excercise in using .0001 dial
indicators and magnetic bases and........

The reason you dont see any actual sales..is that most shops are now
using carbide insert tooling and there are far far far fewer shops still
in business.

A T&C grinder is a great thing to have, unless you are engaged in
production machining..and insert tooling is far cheaper than having your
tools ground.

Custom grinds...are becoming harder to justify as well, particularly in
milling as insert milling cutters are available for just about any sort
of cut you might do. *Bout the only thing I see ground these days is
cheap form tools used in second ops lathes..by shops too small to buy
cnc machines.

Ive got a KO Lee B300, with every accessory they made. * And it was
given to me by a big production shop that found it to be in their way.
Insert tooling is all they use.
Excellent shape and a joy to use. *
About 3 times a year.

Shrug

Gunner

--
Maxim 12: A soft answer turneth away wrath.
Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.

Gummer...did you report those sales you made as income and pay Federal
and State taxes?

TMT