Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Filters (again)

On 2011-07-24, DougC wrote:
On 7/23/2011 8:05 PM, Laurie Forbes wrote:
Got my Thunderbird filters working (only passes rec.crafts.metalworking)
but unfortunately, most of the posts are still OT (and full of the
typical cretinous blather).

I fear this is hopeless - is there another metal working group (not
necessarily on Usenet) that anyone could recommend?

Laurie Forbes

I use Thunderbird too, and have for a long time.

You shouldn't need a filter to allow "only" a certain newsgroup. You
should only be getting messages from the newsgroups that you are
subscribed to...? You might need to generate and link to a screenshot to
explain this better.

The problem is "crossposting". He wants to limit his newsreader
to displaying only those which have *only* "rec.crafts.metalworking" in
the "Newsgroups: " header. It is a fairly good bet that the more
newsgroups in the header, the more off-topic it will be. Crossposting
has multiple newsgroup names separated only by commas, and with a
single newsgroup, there will be no commas. Good newsreaders have the
ability to filter on the contents of the "Newsgroups: " header, among
others. (I'm also using the "NNTP-Posting-Host: " header to eliminate
spam from various countries which never submit on-topic articles.)

OBTW -- perhaps the problem is in Laurie's use of the filters that
he is asking to "Delete" instead of "Mark as read". Since he
can't "delete" (cancel is the offical NNTP term) things which he
has not posted -- and is unlikely to be trying to get rid of his
own articles. So -- look for the term which means "mark as
read" in the filters and try again.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564