Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Manufacturing Job Fair "Dress Professionally"???

Gunner Asch on Fri, 22 Jul 2011 21:26:15 -0700
On Fri, 22 Jul 2011 10:11:30 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Winston on Wed, 20 Jul 2011 22:11:14 -0700
pyotr filipivich wrote:
I got this in the Email:

Manufacturing Job Fair

Come meet companies with job openings
· Bring your resume
· Dress professionally
· Prepare to interview

Great, cool, groovy. But what does it mean "dress professionally"?

Simple. Don't be over 20 years of age when you arrive.

So tiny braids in the greybeard is prpbably not on?

--Winston

Nor is a pony tail and a gold skull and crossbones pierced earring?

All depends. I heard of a guy who wrote out his resume in pencil,
on a kid's tablet. Went to the interview in jeans, tee shirt, and
articulated 'Day of the Dead' skeleton earring (back when such things
were still fringe.) I understand he did rake out the beard and pony
tale.
They hired him, at 60k. In 1984 dollars.

But then again, they were head hunting him; they wanted him. They
were willing to put up with any "personal quirks" to get his skills. I
suspect he did it that away, too see if they could work with someone
of his high geekiness.

I have learned that in some areas, the person you 'want' has,
sometimes, has .... "unique" personality traits. They do the job
really, really, really well ... but on their terms or not at all. Like
the guy who got the promotion to the outside office. Which he
promptly covered in tin foil, to block the sunshine - he did all
programming by the light of the monitor.
Unfortunately, I don't have those sorts of mad skills, so I have
to act like normal people.
--
pyotr filipivich
Friends help you move, good friends help you move bodies. Really good