Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
William Bagwell William Bagwell is offline

Default Update: Semi precision grinding.

On Mon, 25 Jul 2011 04:41:36 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

If you're not looking for a big piece of permanently installed
equipment, have a look at the portable planers. I've got a DeWalt
that works very well for making a stack of blanks uniform, but don't
forget the dust control bits. Even taking off just a 1/64" will bury
you in shavings and dust. I've run hundreds of feet of slats and
nominal 2x without problems other than hitting a staple. Buy extra
blades, too.
www.toolking.com sometimes has factory refurbs for
cheap, shipping may get you on that, though. DeWalt now has a rolling
tool base for their portable saws and planers, works pretty well..

As I mentioned to someone else, I'm looking first at used commercial. (Though
the factory refurbs in your link look good!) Have no 3 phase nor the desire to
fool with converters so full industrial is out unless it so cheap I can afford
to swap the motor. Have looked at the hobbyist grade planers in the local big
box stores (Lowes and Home Depot) and not liking what I'm seeing at all. The
only two speed is the ~$600 DeWalt and it has *way* too much plastic on it for
my tastes. (I work in plastics and have noted that the big machines that make
things out of plastic have very little of the stuff themselves. Makes you
wonder...)

Since I'm going to turn around and put grooves in the wood I want fast over
smooth.
--
William