Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Container cooling

wrote:

On Jul 24, 6:42 pm, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sun, 24 Jul 2011 13:14:15 -0700, "Artemus" wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message

You guys might take a look at the spray-on bedliner stuff for a tough
weatherproof sealer.

Its a very good idea. However..the sun here in the desert is rather
strong during the summer months and putting a layer of "black" along the
entire horizontal cover does seem a bit counter intuitive. Perhaps some
of that white roofing foam?

Gunner

BTDT. Woodpeckers love the foam roofing stuff. It sounds hollow
when they peck on it so they proceed and peck ****loads of holes all
over the roof.

Wood peckers? I dont think Ive seen one here in this area in the 35 yrs
Ive lived here. High desert doesnt seem to provide much fare for wood
peckers.

The best stuff I've used is Snow Seal.
http://www.amesresearch.com/_SnowSeal.html
Art

That...looks very very good and exactly what Im looking for!

Many many thanks! Home Despot carries it one assumes? Ace Hardware is a
non starter, at least locally..given the horrendous markups they use.

I also noted Iron Coat. Is that a better product for my application?

http://www.amespaint.com/mm5/merchan...tore_Code=AWM&...

Its a bit..pricey isnt it?

Gunner

I saw some aluminized roofing compound at Orchard Supply when I was
living in CA many years back, looked like it was basically tar with
enough aluminum powder to help with the heat problem. Fairly cheap at
the time. Not sure how well it'd seal leaks, you could always go the
blackjack and beercan route to seal those, though.

That used to be common around here, till Snow Seal became readily
available. It lasts a lot longer than aluminized roofing compound, in
that it doesn't shrink and crack as fast.