Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default Hijacked sprinkler on roof thread

"Red" wrote

A person in our neighborhood tried water cooling on his house roof.
Minerals in the water leached out onto his shingles causing major
white streaks & splotches. Looked like 10,000 pigeons roosted there.
Worse eyesore in the neighborhood until he re-roofed.

reply:

I just posted some links to HVAC projects that use these, and had better
luck than I would have ever suspected. Some are complicated systems with
heat sensors that control on/off valves to different areas of the roof as
needed. I do suppose, tho, that the roof is the key to the whole thing, as
applying the water is a no brainer.

The material you are wetting is the key. In driving around, I see roofs of
all manner of decay. Some look like they wouldn't hold up to a decent rain
or even a good wind, and some are down to the plywood/particle board..
Keeping them wet would just speed up the decay process, plus go down into
underlayment, decking, trusses, insulation, drywall, et al. I am using
Fabral steel sheeting. It has eleven layers and is made for weather
exposure. I'm going to use a gutter seal on the seams that I can only get
from my professional gutter guy. There will be no degradable material, save
for rusting, and that can be dealt with.

I'm jazzed, as putting the roof over the containers was to take the sun load
off. The studies claim a 25 degree reduction of temperature. Add two swamp
coolers, and I should have a nice cool shop.

As always, I am documenting on camera, and will post when done.

Steve