Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hijacked sprinkler on roof thread

I'm currently putting trusses across two containers 16' apart. Each
container is 8' wide with a 16' space between. 40' long. Trusses are 32'
long to allow a rain overhang. It is sloped with no peak.

My intent was to take the sun load off the top of the containers. There
will also be double doors on each end of the space to be able to enclose the
inside. I intend to put a swamp cooler in each container.

I was wondering if I put a recirculating water pump to flow water over the
roof and outside vertical east and west sides if that would cool it very
much. I'm probably going to have to just try it. I get ag water, so
there's no problem about added cost.

Anyone ever done this?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 23, 3:28*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
I'm currently putting trusses across two containers 16' apart. *Each
container is 8' wide with a 16' space between. *40' long. *Trusses are 32'
long to allow a rain overhang. *It is sloped with no peak.

My intent was to take the sun load off the top of the containers. *There
will also be double doors on each end of the space to be able to enclose the
inside. *I intend to put a swamp cooler in each container.

I was wondering if I put a recirculating water pump to flow water over the
roof and outside vertical east and west sides if that would cool it very
much. *I'm probably going to have to just try it. *I get ag water, so
there's no problem about added cost.

Anyone ever done this?

Steve

Yes-

There was a hot dog restaurant (Rutt's Hut) in NJ that my family
frequented YEARS (50's & 60's) ago.
The place is still there and quite well known.

I didn't really care for their hot dogs, they appeared burned to me
but my fascination with the place was that the building was partially
cooled
by water that run over the roof (from ridge to eave), collected by
rain gutters and recirculated.

Whether this will work or not depends on your local weather
conditions, temperature of water source & cost of water.

If oyu get water out of the ground at 60 degrees you can cool your
roof quite nicely but it will take a lot of water.
Let's say you can heat the water from 60 to 75 F as it travels over
the roof. That means each gallon (~8.3 pounds) will remove about 125
btu.

Not too bad but to rely on water cooling alone, no evap, will require
about 1 gallon per sq ft per hour.

If your local relative humidity is low, you can get the additional
bonus of evaporative cooling.....
every pound of water you evaporate takes ~1000 btu's with it.

So a gallon removes about 8000 btu's.

Evaporate 12 pounds per hour and you've got a 1 ton "air conditioner".

Depending on the temperature changes, day to night, a swamp cooler
might give you moisture issues but maybe not.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
I'm currently putting trusses across two containers 16' apart. Each
container is 8' wide with a 16' space between. 40' long. Trusses
are 32' long to allow a rain overhang. It is sloped with no peak.

My intent was to take the sun load off the top of the containers. There will
also be double doors on each end of the space to be able
to enclose the inside. I intend to put a swamp cooler in each
container.
I was wondering if I put a recirculating water pump to flow water
over the roof and outside vertical east and west sides if that would
cool it very much. I'm probably going to have to just try it. I get
ag water, so there's no problem about added cost.

I would consider setting up low volume sprinkler heads on the ridge. Just enough
water to keep it moist, and let evaporation do it's trick. The sprinkler will
help spread the water, so that all the area gets wet, not just small "streams"
where the water focuses. You might get moss growth from the water, depending on
the water itself, and weather conditions. The sprinklers would require more
pressure, but if you can reduce the volume needed, you wouldn't need a recirc
pump, which may have problems with crud in the water over time.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 7/23/2011 5:28 PM, Steve B wrote:

I was wondering if I put a recirculating water pump to flow water over the
roof and outside vertical east and west sides if that would cool it very
much. I'm probably going to have to just try it. I get ag water, so
there's no problem about added cost.

Anyone ever done this?

Not that way but look into ag barn misters...

http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/prod1;ft1_greenhouses_accessories-ft1_greenhouse_irrigation_2-ft1_misting_sprinkler_systems_1;pgwf4070_WF4065.ht ml

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:

I was wondering if I put a recirculating water pump to flow water
over the roof and outside vertical east and west sides if that would
cool it very much.

Around here, a white plastic tarp (30 x 20 ft) costs about $30 at home
despot.

My first thought was to cover the roof with something like that.
Something very white, that could be put up and taken down quickly.

I'm thinking that having it suspended a few inches over the roof surface
somehow - with stand-offs or something - would be better at keeping the
roof cool vs having the cover in direct physical contact with the roof.

A couple of the sides of my roof can't really be seen from the ground.
I really wouldn't mind painting those shingles with some sort of white
glossy paint - assuming there is such a paint that has a good record for
durability in that application.

Anyone know how much of a temperature reduction I'd get by painting the
shingles white, vs suspending a white tarp a few inches over them?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Home Guy wrote:
Steve B wrote:

[...]

The tarp would last a few months at the very best.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote the following:
Home Guy wrote:

Steve B wrote:

[...]

In the NE US, that's the whole summer. :-)

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Jul 2011 13:33:06 -0400, willshak wrote:

Bob F wrote the following:
Home Guy wrote:

Steve B wrote:

[...]

Spring and fall, too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Home Guy" wrote

My first thought was to cover the roof with something like that.
Something very white, that could be put up and taken down quickly.

I had a 20 x 12' carport sized house peak shaped tarp on a frame shading the
middle of the containers. It was tied down to a welding table made of 2" x
2" x 1/4" angle iron. The table was four feet wide, ten feet long, and 32"
high. The wind took the tarp cover, frame, AND welding table and flew them
to a landing spot 30 feet away never touching the ground until the landing.
At least 200#.

We don't do tarps where we live. My 480 sf steel awning at the rear of my
house is engineered for 104 mph winds. Everything must be made of steel,
telephone posts, or some other very sturdy materials. And every once in a
while, that is not enough.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote in message
Home Guy wrote:
Steve B wrote:

[...]

I have had them last less than one day here when I was new here.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red" wrote

A person in our neighborhood tried water cooling on his house roof.
Minerals in the water leached out onto his shingles causing major
white streaks & splotches. Looked like 10,000 pigeons roosted there.
Worse eyesore in the neighborhood until he re-roofed.

reply:

I just posted some links to HVAC projects that use these, and had better
luck than I would have ever suspected. Some are complicated systems with
heat sensors that control on/off valves to different areas of the roof as
needed. I do suppose, tho, that the roof is the key to the whole thing, as
applying the water is a no brainer.

The material you are wetting is the key. In driving around, I see roofs of
all manner of decay. Some look like they wouldn't hold up to a decent rain
or even a good wind, and some are down to the plywood/particle board..
Keeping them wet would just speed up the decay process, plus go down into
underlayment, decking, trusses, insulation, drywall, et al. I am using
Fabral steel sheeting. It has eleven layers and is made for weather
exposure. I'm going to use a gutter seal on the seams that I can only get
from my professional gutter guy. There will be no degradable material, save
for rusting, and that can be dealt with.

I'm jazzed, as putting the roof over the containers was to take the sun load
off. The studies claim a 25 degree reduction of temperature. Add two swamp
coolers, and I should have a nice cool shop.

As always, I am documenting on camera, and will post when done.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Home Guy wrote:

Anyone know how much of a temperature reduction I'd get by painting the
shingles white, vs suspending a white tarp a few inches over them?

What about painting them with a more expensive but much more durable
coating -- I'm thinking aircraft-type aluminum paint. I've thought of
doing that with the part of my roof that is flat EPDM-or-similar
membrane.

Ed
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edward Rice" wrote in message
Home Guy wrote:

Anyone know how much of a temperature reduction I'd get by painting the
shingles white, vs suspending a white tarp a few inches over them?

What about painting them with a more expensive but much more durable
coating -- I'm thinking aircraft-type aluminum paint. I've thought of
doing that with the part of my roof that is flat EPDM-or-similar
membrane.

Ed

Used some of that on a job I did at Hoover Dam. Interesting stuff, but
still has an absorption by the steel under the paint. It looks like this
sprinkler sprayer concept is leading so far. Those studies provided by
Steve W. were impressive. Hope to get the trusses up tomorrow, and start
decking soon. Probably get it done when the weather cools off. Figgers.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.heartsurgerysurvivalguide.com
Heart Surgery Survival Guide
Now on facebook, too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:

Anyone know how much of a temperature reduction I'd get by
painting the shingles white, vs suspending a white tarp a
few inches over them?

What about painting them with a more expensive but much more
durable coating -- I'm thinking aircraft-type aluminum paint.

It looks like this sprinkler sprayer concept is leading so far.

Insulating Roof Coating Insul Cool-Coat #2000

http://www.hytechsales.com/prod2000.html

============
Insul Cool-Coat is a high build 100% acrylic elastomeric roof coating
based on the latest chemical technology and fortified with Hy-Tech
insulating ceramic microspheres. This bright white high build formula is
designed to insulate, seal, repel moisture, deaden sound, and protect.
The thick rubber-like ceramic reinforced shield expands and contracts
with varying hot and cold temperatures plus resists thermal shock. Insul
Cool-Coat offers superior mildew resistance, soundproofing, UV ray
reflectivity, corrosion resistance and a beautiful insulating finish.

Spread Rate- 100-150 sq.ft/gal
Dry to touch- 2-4 hours
Recoat-12 hours...Cure Time 5-7 days
Sizes: 1 Gal., 5 Gal.
$28.50 Per Gallon...5 Gallon $142.50 (no deal)
===========

Example pictures:

http://www.hytechsales.com/roofpaint1.html
http://www.hytechsales.com/roofpaint2.html
http://www.hytechsales.com/roofpaint3.html

See also:

http://infinitipaints.com/products/roof-coatings

http://www.gardner-gibson.com/elasto...f_coating.aspx

"Now, the Federal government has created tax incentives for
energy-saving improvements, including cool roof coatings. Many states
are now offering incentives to contractors and homeowners who use cool
roof coatings, so you'll receive another benefit for choosing one of the
most effective roof coatings available today."

================
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/a...p/t-74794.html

09-08-2010, 02:43 PM
Holy crap, Batman! I coated my dark shingled shop over the weekend, and
got an honest 40 degree drop in temps inside! Put it on right over the
shingles, some guys said OK, some said not to. It's as cool in there as
my carport is in the shade. No more 130 degree sweatbox, and I can store
my paints in there now.
I bought the good 12 year stuff, we'll see how long it lasts.
=================

=================
http://www.finishing.com/116/34.shtml

You can paint asphalt roof shingles with any acrylic (water-based)
paint. I tested part of my roof and it's holding up fine. You need to
water it down a bit so that it covers the texture more easily without
brushing over and over. I'm about to paint my entire roof using 5 shades
of green, and painting each individual shingle. Don't know how long this
will take, but my stone cottage needs a jewel-like roof to crown it
properly. The part I tested is on top of a sun porch, which I painted
gloss white so the summer sun will reflect off of it. I've painted a
whole lotta things in my life, and I've come to the conclusion that
people worry too much... just go ahead and paint. I've even painted some
of the corner stones on my cottage with flat "terra cotta" colored
paint, and it looks like that's what they are made of. Life is short...
just do it.