Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default Hijacked sprinkler on roof thread

"Bob F" wrote in message
Home Guy wrote:
Steve B wrote:

I was wondering if I put a recirculating water pump to flow water
over the roof and outside vertical east and west sides if that would
cool it very much.

Around here, a white plastic tarp (30 x 20 ft) costs about $30 at home
despot.

My first thought was to cover the roof with something like that.
Something very white, that could be put up and taken down quickly.

I'm thinking that having it suspended a few inches over the roof
surface somehow - with stand-offs or something - would be better at
keeping the roof cool vs having the cover in direct physical contact
with the roof.

A couple of the sides of my roof can't really be seen from the ground.
I really wouldn't mind painting those shingles with some sort of white
glossy paint - assuming there is such a paint that has a good record
for durability in that application.

Anyone know how much of a temperature reduction I'd get by painting
the shingles white, vs suspending a white tarp a few inches over them?

The tarp would last a few months at the very best.

I have had them last less than one day here when I was new here.

Steve