Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default AC condenser repair

The few patches I've done, mostly cut a piece of copper to
shape, to patch. And braze that on. The "circle" and then
build the igloo technique, good idea.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Lyndell Thompson" wrote in message
m...
Have your hvac tech friend put a small pressure in the
condenser (1-2
psi-where goggles) and heat. It may push out the slump. Then
you can remove
pressure and braze again. You can bypass any line in a
condenser provided
you look closely an verify all other passes are in the loop.
However you
will not have as much condenser as you once had. This may
mean you clean the
condenser or filter more often or it don't cool as well. If
it is copper you
can buy fittings to fabricate a 180 degree bend if you have
room for it. The
idea is to salvage as much condenser as possible. I have
messed up many
condensers trying to repair them and most of the time have
been able to
remove the slump of solder and try again. If
copper........try dynaflow
(available hvac/r distributors) it fills nicely. I have
filled 1/4" holes by
filling in around the hole........letting it cool ......fill
some more etc
until it is fixed. Blow compressed air or something thru,
when you are
finished to verify you did not plug it.
Good Luck
Lyndell

"Karl Townsend" wrote in
message
The AC broke in my John Deere. AC is needed a bit more in
a tractor
cause you get A LOT of heat off the machine, the cab is
all glass, and
one little window to open. Easily 20 degrees over outside.

My neighbor is an HVAC tech. We found a hole in the
condenser caused
the failure. First braze attempt still had a small leak.
The second
attempt, the braze slumped into the line and party blocked
it. Now I'm
FUBAR.

Somehow, I need to cut this braze out and weld a patch
over it. Or
pull a 180 U off of one end and bypass this run. It is the
first top
run on the condenser. Anyone successfully done either
operation?

I looked for generic replacements. John Deere isn't
listed. No joy
trying to find one based on length and width. For those
that don't
know, John Deere selected their tractor color because of
the amount of
green you need to buy a part. Anybody know of a place that
will supply
a condenser that fits within a certain height and width? I
do know a
machinist that can build a bracket.

Karl