Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Irritrol 205TF Control Valve Question

On Jul 23, 9:18*pm, Tony Hwang wrote:
Lee wrote:
We have a problem with our sprinkler system that we’ve tried to
resolve through our local Irritrol dealer with no success. *We’ve
reviewed past postings, but have not found anything that addresses our
problem.

First, to describe our system: All 4 valves are controlled via an
Orbit timer that is short of 2 years since being replaced and was
working fine before this problem began. *It seems to work OK on the
timed system, except for zones 3& *4, which is why we think this is a
valve control problem, rather than a problem with the timer system.

We have 4 of the 205TF valves, with 3 in one box, and the other in a
single box. *The latter valve, which controls Zone 1, operates with no
problems. *In the other box, the drip system valve (Zone 2) operates
OK. *The other 2 valves, that control the rest of our lawn sprinklers
(Zones 3 and 4), are where the problem lies. *These valves work fine
if the bleed screw is opened, but do not work when activated through
the automatic or manual option on the Orbit timer. *This would seem to
imply that the problem lies with the timer, but as noted above, it
works OK for Zones 1 and 2, and the Orbit manual does not have any
Troubleshooting tips for separate zone failures.

We replaced the diaphragms on all 3 of the valves in the control box
in question and tested all of the solenoids (which were all OK). *When
that failed to solve the problem, we purchased a Cover Diaphragm
Assembly Kit (R205TFKIT) to see if there was some kind of a blockage
on the inlet side of the valve. *We’ve also replaced the wiring from
the timer box to each of the control valves. *That too failed to solve
the problem which is why we are asking for your advice.

So, our question is: What else can we do to figure-out a fix for this
problem?

Thanks for your advice.
Lee
Phoenix, AZ

Hi,
First thing I'd try is reset the timer(programmer) and reprogram.
If it does not make a difference, start switching valves between
good and bad circuit, it'll narrow down the problem quickly.
Trouble-shooting anything like this is based on simple logic.- Hide quoted text -

In additon to the above good suggestions, I'd point out that
new sprinkler valves are available from a variety of manufacturers
and are not very expensive. If I had a valve that would not
open with voltage measured on it or was behaving intermittently
I wouldn't waste time and money buying parts for it. I'd
buy a new valve. You can even buy 4 of them already on
a manifold. An entire new valve can be had for $15.

See if you have voltage at the valve with a VOM. If yes,
get a new valve.