Posted to alt.home.repair
Lee Lee is offline

Default Irritrol 205TF Control Valve Question

We have a problem with our sprinkler system that we’ve tried to
resolve through our local Irritrol dealer with no success. We’ve
reviewed past postings, but have not found anything that addresses our
problem.

First, to describe our system: All 4 valves are controlled via an
Orbit timer that is short of 2 years since being replaced and was
working fine before this problem began. It seems to work OK on the
timed system, except for zones 3 & 4, which is why we think this is a
valve control problem, rather than a problem with the timer system.

We have 4 of the 205TF valves, with 3 in one box, and the other in a
single box. The latter valve, which controls Zone 1, operates with no
problems. In the other box, the drip system valve (Zone 2) operates
OK. The other 2 valves, that control the rest of our lawn sprinklers
(Zones 3 and 4), are where the problem lies. These valves work fine
if the bleed screw is opened, but do not work when activated through
the automatic or manual option on the Orbit timer. This would seem to
imply that the problem lies with the timer, but as noted above, it
works OK for Zones 1 and 2, and the Orbit manual does not have any
Troubleshooting tips for separate zone failures.

We replaced the diaphragms on all 3 of the valves in the control box
in question and tested all of the solenoids (which were all OK). When
that failed to solve the problem, we purchased a Cover Diaphragm
Assembly Kit (R205TFKIT) to see if there was some kind of a blockage
on the inlet side of the valve. We’ve also replaced the wiring from
the timer box to each of the control valves. That too failed to solve
the problem which is why we are asking for your advice.

So, our question is: What else can we do to figure-out a fix for this
problem?

Thanks for your advice.
Lee
Phoenix, AZ
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 23 Jul 2011 13:47:55 -0700 (PDT), Lee wrote:

[...]

Try swapping Zones 3 & 4 to other timer 'lug' screws. It could be
that simple. Also check that solenoids on the valves are not cracked
/ split. Even adjust the solenoids, by turning them up / down a bit.
Ensure valves wires are clean, etc...

If you have 6 zone ability, move 3 & 4 to 5 & 6 or to 1 & 2 for a
test.

If you have had some power issues (outage) recently, remove the timer
power cord from the outlet, batteries from the unit and let the
"memory clear". The memory can get scrambled / hosed. Another thing
is do a hard "reset" of the timer unit and reset all zone setting.

Fresh batteries in the timer controller...

Report back

Thanks for your advice.
Lee
Phoenix, AZ

Posted to alt.home.repair

Lee wrote:
[...]

Hi,
First thing I'd try is reset the timer(programmer) and reprogram.
If it does not make a difference, start switching valves between
good and bad circuit, it'll narrow down the problem quickly.
Trouble-shooting anything like this is based on simple logic.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 23, 9:18*pm, Tony Hwang wrote:
Lee wrote:
[...]

Trouble-shooting anything like this is based on simple logic.- Hide quoted text -

In additon to the above good suggestions, I'd point out that
new sprinkler valves are available from a variety of manufacturers
and are not very expensive. If I had a valve that would not
open with voltage measured on it or was behaving intermittently
I wouldn't waste time and money buying parts for it. I'd
buy a new valve. You can even buy 4 of them already on
a manifold. An entire new valve can be had for $15.

See if you have voltage at the valve with a VOM. If yes,
get a new valve.