Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dennis Dennis is offline

Default Filters (again)

On 24/07/2011 8:08 PM, Snag wrote:
Laurie Forbes wrote:
On 7/23/2011 8:02 PM, Snag wrote:
Ed Huntress wrote:
"Laurie wrote in message
Got my Thunderbird filters working (only passes
rec.crafts.metalworking) but unfortunately, most of the posts are
still OT (and full of the typical cretinous blather).

I fear this is hopeless - is there another metal working group (not
necessarily on Usenet) that anyone could recommend?

Laurie Forbes

Jim Rozen (remember him?) thinks very highly of the Practical
Machinist group. I haven't talked to him in months, though, so I
can't vouch for it.
--
Ed Huntress

I read PM sometimes . Pretty good group , though they're more
oriented towards production as opposed to us hobbyists .
Another good one is http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/index.php ,
or perhaps you'll like
http://www.chaski.com/homemachinist/ .

Thank you both for the suggestions.

FWIW , I use Outlook Express . It has very good filters , if you
use 'em . Thunderbird also has pretty good filters , and it "learns"
your preferences by what you delete/etc . Sounds like you're just
not configuring your filters properly .

I was hoping that filtering out all the xposted messages would take
care of the problem but I see now that a lot of OT is posted only to
this group. Maybe have to add filters based on subject content or
poster name but that is pretty hit& miss.

One weird thing about TBird is that it will only let you delete your
own posts (at least as far as I can tell).

Laurie Forbes

On usenet it works that way , you can't delete anyone else's posts . The
only way I've found to delete is to "block sender" , which then gives you
the option to remove the blocked sender's posts from your machine .

Outlook Express lets you delete others messages (on your machine) so
they are no longer visible. The problem is if someone else replies to
the thread it turns up in your new headers.