Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Snag[_3_] Snag[_3_] is offline

Default Filters (again)

Laurie Forbes wrote:
On 7/23/2011 8:02 PM, Snag wrote:
Ed Huntress wrote:
"Laurie wrote in message
Got my Thunderbird filters working (only passes
rec.crafts.metalworking) but unfortunately, most of the posts are
still OT (and full of the typical cretinous blather).

I fear this is hopeless - is there another metal working group (not
necessarily on Usenet) that anyone could recommend?

Laurie Forbes

Jim Rozen (remember him?) thinks very highly of the Practical
Machinist group. I haven't talked to him in months, though, so I
can't vouch for it.
--
Ed Huntress

I read PM sometimes . Pretty good group , though they're more
oriented towards production as opposed to us hobbyists .
Another good one is http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/index.php ,
or perhaps you'll like
http://www.chaski.com/homemachinist/ .

Thank you both for the suggestions.

FWIW , I use Outlook Express . It has very good filters , if you
use 'em . Thunderbird also has pretty good filters , and it "learns"
your preferences by what you delete/etc . Sounds like you're just
not configuring your filters properly .

I was hoping that filtering out all the xposted messages would take
care of the problem but I see now that a lot of OT is posted only to
this group. Maybe have to add filters based on subject content or
poster name but that is pretty hit & miss.

One weird thing about TBird is that it will only let you delete your
own posts (at least as far as I can tell).

Laurie Forbes

On usenet it works that way , you can't delete anyone else's posts . The
only way I've found to delete is to "block sender" , which then gives you
the option to remove the blocked sender's posts from your machine .

--
Snag
Learning keeps