Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John B. Slocomb John B. Slocomb is offline

Default This is my rifle

On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 21:54:24 -0500, CaveLamb
wrote:

Steve W. wrote:
Joseph Gwinn wrote:
I found the letter "This is my rifle" to the editor of Machine Design
interesting. Published in the 7 July 2011 issue.

http://machinedesign.com/article/letters-7072011-0707

I had to look bullpup up. Turns out there is a Wikipedia article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullpup.

I really have to wonder if Chinese winter clothing really can stop a
M1 bullet, except perhaps at extreme range, where the bullet's kinetic
energy is already mostly gone.

Joe Gwinn

Not a surprise. The .30 carbine round is half as powerful as a 30-30
round and is just a bit better than a .357 magnum pistol round.

The M1 Garand on the other hand uses a 30-06 round. 3+ times as powerful
and far more accurate.

I was under the impression that the M1 was intended as a replacement
for a pistol - not for long range shooting.

As I remember it, the originally stated reason was that the carbine
was a replacement for rear echelon troops who had previously been
issued the Colt 1911 as it was proving difficult, or impossible, to
train troops to be even marginally effective with the 1911 in a
reasonable length of time.

--
John B. Slocomb
(johnbslocombatgmaildotcom)