Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default This is my rifle

In article ,
says...

CaveLamb on Fri, 22 Jul 2011 02:32:22 -0500
Don Foreman wrote:

I was under the impression that the M1 was intended as a replacement
for a pistol - not for long range shooting.

The garand and the carbine were both known as M1 but very different in
capability. Your impression of the M1 carbine is correct -- a bit
better than a pistol but it was no rifle.

That's what I thought, Don.
It was intended to be a high power accurate PISTOL (replacement).
It was never intended to compete with the Garand as a real rifle.

OTOH, I recall reading that it was Audie Murphy's preferred
weapon.

Might have been, on the other hand his Medal of Honor citation says that
he used a .50 caliber and a telephone with an artillery battery on the
other end of it.

"Man finds a lot of virtues in a weapon does that." Said by a
soon to be minted 2LT, on hearing that a weapon he had disparaged had
save the life of the Vet he was talking with.

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich
"We don't support "guns" ... the term "gun" gets in the way of