Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Wires...

On Fri, 22 Jul 2011 00:53:49 -0500, CaveLamb
wrote:

On 2011-07-22, Winston wrote:
CaveLamb wrote:
I need a couple of dozen of these, but I don't know what to call them.

You know those twisted pair wires on a DIP header?

Like the ones used to connect LEDs and switches to a computer
motherboard?

I've been googling all over creation, but lack the definitive term to
describe them.

Anybody out there have a clue? Or a box full of 'em?
You could solder wires to these receptacles:
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...name=A32932-ND

You could -- but the usual ones used as described have
individual crimp pins on the wires which slip and lock into the
connector body.

The proper crimp tools tend to be expensive -- unless you luck
out in an eBay auction -- including lucking into finding the right ones
for the terminals in questions.

http://documents.tycoelectronics.com...=CD&DocLang=EN

These, also, should be available with crimp-on pins instead of
solder tails. They should be somewhere close by the others in the
DigiKey catalog.

Enjoy,
DoN.

I don't see them though...

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/dk...name=WM2800-ND

Bit better. 0.89 each. Not including pins, application crimper.

--Winston

I just placed the order with Amazon for 10 at .75 each.
That still seems high to me, but I saw them for over $12 on some sites.
Even MicroCenter (whom I respect) wanted up to $6 a pop.

The real kicker was an Amazon seller wo wanted $.29 each!
But the shipping was $54.90!!!
WTF???

These were 10 cent items.
Until I wanted them.

Have you noticed how stuff that used to be easily available has
suddenly become unavailable?
Or outrageously expensive???

The 21st Century was supposed to be better than the 20th.

Wasn't it?

The value of the dollar has been falling faster than a suicidal
Leftwinger who jumps to his death 20 minutes after the 2012 election
results are announced.

Check Ebay for the difference between the British pound and the dollar.
Its getting worse and worse.

Gunner

--
Maxim 12: A soft answer turneth away wrath.
Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.