Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Wires...

On 2011-07-22, Winston wrote:
CaveLamb wrote:
DoN. Nichols wrote:
On 2011-07-22, Winston wrote:
CaveLamb wrote:
I need a couple of dozen of these, but I don't know what to call them.

You know those twisted pair wires on a DIP header?

Like the ones used to connect LEDs and switches to a computer
motherboard?

[ ... ]

You could -- but the usual ones used as described have
individual crimp pins on the wires which slip and lock into the
connector body.

The proper crimp tools tend to be expensive -- unless you luck
out in an eBay auction -- including lucking into finding the right ones
for the terminals in questions.

http://documents.tycoelectronics.com...=CD&DocLang=EN

These, also, should be available with crimp-on pins instead of
solder tails. They should be somewhere close by the others in the
DigiKey catalog.

[ ... ]

I don't see them though...

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/dk...name=WM2800-ND

Bit better. 0.89 each. Not including pins, application crimper.

Yes -- those are what I was thinking of. You've already noted
that the contacts are extra purchases -- and you get to select in
contact material (gold plating is more reliable, but tin is a lot
cheaper, even given how little gold is actually used. And you have to
pick one which crimps onto the wire size you need.

And the PDF link is to the catalog page -- what I would have
preferred to use for the search anyway. :-)

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564