Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default Wires...

On Fri, 22 Jul 2011 11:46:37 -0500, Tim Wescott wrote:

On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 21:59:44 -0500, CaveLamb wrote:

I need a couple of dozen of these, but I don't know what to call them.

You know those twisted pair wires on a DIP header?

Like the ones used to connect LEDs and switches to a computer
motherboard?

I've been googling all over creation, but lack the definitive term to
describe them.

Anybody out there have a clue? Or a box full of 'em?

Housings like this:
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?

Detail&name=609-2341-
ND

http://tinyurl.com/429xh8h

And matching terminals like this:
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?
Detail&name=609-3616-1-ND

http://tinyurl.com/3gqabh6

And a crimper like this:
AAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:The_Scream.jpg

(finding crimpers is kind of a black art, unless you want to pay $500
for one that'll stand up well in continuous use by a drunken gorilla, or
$1500 for a pneumatic foot-operated one that'll stand up well in
continuous use by a tiny Chinese lady who's ****ed off at her husband,
you, and everyone else in the world).

If you're seriously interested, I'll take a picture of my crimper and
maybe we can figure out where to get another one.

Sorry about the long URLs getting hacked up.

--
www.wescottdesign.com