Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Frnak McKenney Frnak McKenney is offline

Default Wires...

On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 21:59:44 -0500, CaveLamb wrote:

I need a couple of dozen of these, but I don't know what to call
them.

You know those twisted pair wires on a DIP header?

Like the ones used to connect LEDs and switches to a computer
motherboard?

I've been googling all over creation, but lack the definitive term
to describe them.

Anybody out there have a clue? Or a box full of 'em?

If this is a "one-sie" (limited quantity) deal, you might try:

http://www.jameco.com/

Connector Housing SKT 2 Position 2.54mm Straight Bag
#100812 $2.50/10
Connector Housing SKT 4 Position 2.54mm Straight Bag
#100803 $1.50/10
Connector Contact PIN 1 Position Crimp Straight Cable Mount Reel
#100766 $1.50/10

You'll still need a crimp tool to add wires. If all you need is
short jumpers, you could try these:

Premium Female/Female Jumper Wires - 40 x 6" $6.00
https://www.adafruit.com/products/266

but this is a (splittable) ribbon cable with 1x1 connectors. If you
absolutely needed 1x2 and 1x4 ends you could (carefully) pry the
tiny "sockets" out of the 1x1s and insert them into 1x2 and 1x4
housings.

Hope this helps...

Frank McKenney
--
My experience of men has neither disposed me to think worse of them
nor indisposed me to serve them; nor, in spite of failures which I