Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default Chanels on freesat?

In article , fred scribeth thus
In article , MuddyMike
writes

"fred" wrote in message news
In article ,

MuddyMike
writes

"fred" wrote in message ...

Enter your postcode into http://www.wolfbane.com/cgi-bin/tvd.exe? and let
us know the transmitter, the distance to you, broadcast channel numbers
and whether it's been DSO'd. Don't worry, the .exe in the link is not a
downloadable, it executes on the server, not your comp. There's a good
link to the topography or your TX path on there too, very informative.

This is what I get, all meaningless to me. I can't make out the colour of
the endcap, will take a picture a little later then perhaps yopu can advise
if we have the right type.

Postcode DL8 5AD

Transmitter 1 (PSB 1):
BBC A 2 (PSB 2):
D 3 & 4 A (COM 1):
SDN B (PSB 3):
BBC B C (COM 2):
Arqiva A D (COM 3):
Arqiva B Gp Pol OS grid ref. Field
dBμV/m Distance
miles Bearing
degrees Antenna
(suggestion) UHF ERP
W UHF ERP
W UHF ERP
W UHF ERP
W UHF ERP
W UHF ERP
W Bilsdale West Moor 34 4k8 21 6k 31 6k 24 6k 27 6k 42 1k6 K H SE553962 35
28 83 Amplified extra hi-gain

Ok, you're 28 miles from your transmitter so it's hard work to get a
nice signal from there. Good news is that you appear to have line of
sight to it so there's nothing geographical to interrupt your signal.

Pic of your path copied here (v clean):
http://picturepush.com/public/6145097

Yes as maybe but in this path and coverage prediction there is a thing
known as "clutter" buildings and suchlike as well as threes etc all of
which make that nice clean earth terrain look anything but.

Good clutter models aren't cheap so you won't find them online...

Also, you're pre-DSO on a transmitter with a very high planned boost to
power of about 20x come DSO in September.

Bottom line is that you should see a significant boost in performance
come September so I'd say hold off until then before making any
plans/changes.

On the wideband/grouped aerial business, unfortunately your transmitter
requires wideband (ish) and will continue to require it post DSO.

There are further tricks and tips for high gain on wideband using an
array such as this:
http://www.satellitewarehouse.co.uk/vision-stealth.html which is also
more immune to local impulse noise (important) but maybe wait & see what
September brings.

I would see a problem like this as a challenge but you can spend a fair
bit of money and get nowhere as I found when trying to pull in a signal
over this pre-DSO: http://picturepush.com/public/6145284 , that one went
to satellite.

--
Tony Sayer