Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David R. Birch David R. Birch is offline

Default This is my rifle

On 7/21/2011 7:10 AM, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
I found the letter "This is my rifle" to the editor of Machine Design
interesting. Published in the 7 July 2011 issue.

http://machinedesign.com/article/letters-7072011-0707

I had to look bullpup up. Turns out there is a Wikipedia article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullpup.

I really have to wonder if Chinese winter clothing really can stop a M1
bullet, except perhaps at extreme range, where the bullet's kinetic
energy is already mostly gone.

Joe Gwinn

From a letter in the link above:

"In Korea, troops found that carbine bullets often failed to penetrate
heavy winter clothing worn by Chinese soldiers."

Not a bullet from a Garand, but from am M1 carbine. Many rear echelon
troops armed with carbines ended up in combat in Korea.

David