Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default How to you replace broken glass in a vinyl window?

On 7/20/2011 6:30 AM, bob haller wrote:
On Jul 20, 3:15 am, wrote:
On Mon, 04 Jul 2011 15:54:12 +0000, Olcooter

wrote:
responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...lace-broken-gl...
Olcooter wrote:
Hi. I also have a double-hung double-pane vinyl window with the interior
pane broken. Andersen Craftsman, I believe. Assuming that eventually I'm
going to have to bite the bullet and replace the whole dang sash ($90 + 3
weeks), I don't see any harm in first trying to replace just the broken
pane by myself. I mean, I can't break the window any more than it is
already right?

I was just wondering if anyone had any insight on doing this. I've gotten
the vinyl exterior trim off with some difficulty, so now the Insulated
Glass Unit is exposed. This consists of the two panes and the sealed
space between them. Now I'm struggling with how to pull it out of the
sash. It's either epoxied into the sash, or just wedged really tight.
Also considering trying to pull just the exterior pane off the IGU. But,
it's caulked on to the IGU frame pretty well.

My vision is that I'd be able to pull the IGU out with the square portion
intact (and perhaps the exterior pane unbroken), replace the interior
pane, then reassemble. Any advice?

More plastic garbage......
You couldn't give me a plastic window !!!!- Hide quoted text -

they are actually very nice and plastic is a good insulator. my vinyl
windows are over 15 years old and still in good shape. plus they were
affordable

Talk to me in another 35 years or so, and tell me how they are doing.
Absent abuse, a residential window should last at least half a century,
IMHO, and I have seen well maintained ones that made century mark or
longer. Only place I would even consider vinyl is down south, like where
my other house is, where the climate rots concrete. Ordinary wood
windows do not do well there. I could see UV-resistant vinyl cladding on
the weather side over a good wood frame, but vinyl is not a structural
material, no matter how many box sections and ribs they figure out how
to add to the extrusion.

--
aem sends...