Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Yet ANOTHER use for WD40

On 7/20/2011 8:48 AM, m II wrote:
WD-40 my be OK for a manually operate contact but not for an
electrically operated contact. We had a guy try it on a bank of relays
and the whole thing seized to halt! The stuff evaporates and leaves a
sticky mess,not to mention where any arcing has occurred the result is
pile of sticky carbon and a flash that burns the contacts beyond usable.

DO NOT USE WD-40 ON CONTACTS! keeps it use to hinges and things where
you don`t mind having to reapply every 2-3months for the rest of your life.

A few mechanics have witnessed signs inside the hoods of`vehicles ``USE
OF WD-40 ON THIS ENGINE WILL RESULT AND NOT PAYING THE BILL OR
LITIGATION FOR DAMAGES``

I suspect dam few to none. Having retired from the automotive industry
and having been the service manager for an automobile dealership I can
honestly say that I have never ever witnessed or heard of a sign,
sticker, label or what ever indicating not to use WD-40 "under" the
hood. We used cases of WD-40 in the shop, and under the hood.

WD-40, Water Displacement- formula # 40 is a **** poor permanent
lubricant. It works great for helping to loosen rusted nuts, bolts, and
frozen assemblies but the lubricating qualities are very short lived.
AND of course to displace moisture. Lithium grease is a much better
choice for a long term lubrication of hinges.