Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Meat Plow[_6_] Meat Plow[_6_] is offline

Default Guitar body wiring and pickup query

On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 13:04:37 +0100, N_Cook wrote:

Gareth Magennis wrote in message

"N_Cook" wrote in message
Output was low.
Instead of owner tightening the controls which were all loose and

rotating
,
he started messing about with the pickup height posistioning and
bridge height.
EMGHz pickups , not these ones but I'm assuming they are ok as
proportionate
readings
http://www.emgpickups.com/content/wi...MGHZ-H1-H4.pdf
Bridge one 17.4K DC and 7.9H (1KHz) and fingerboard 7.2K & 4.0H Looks
as though the tone switch/pot turned so the 47nF body touched the
outlet socket forcing the bare lead of the cap against the grounded
body and
after that stayed touching. near enough, regardless of the where the
control
body rotated to next.

The switch connects the white and black seriesed tails to ground ,

rather
than left floating joined together in all those pdf graphics. What is

the
function of that option ? I thought electromagnetic noise nulling was

due
reverse windings in each pick up and then one pickup rotated 180

relative
the other.

Switching that point to ground shorts one of the coils, turning the
humbucker into a single coil pickup.

Gareth.

So given that these are made as humbuckers why would anyone want the
option to pick up more stray EMI and also get reduced output? While at
it any favorite ways to lock bushnuts. I intend double back-to-back nuts
on the bushes and moulding plastic mechanical interlinks between the 2
pots and 3way switch, to stop any future rotation. But where to find an
aesthetic thin nut for the 3way switch, the pot ones would be hidden by
the knobs.
It seems 3/16 to 1/4 inch fingerboard pickup heights between extreme
frettings of strings is a standard. I assume the bridge ones can be
closer though.

Most humbuckers are made to give the owner to switch coils on and off.
Why don't you google for some wiring diagrams there are many available.

--
Live Fast Die Young, Leave A Pretty Corpse