Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Working under a jacked vehicle

On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 22:18:03 -0400, "Eric"
wrote:

wrote in message ...

On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 20:30:20 -0700 (PDT), Too_Many_Tools
wrote:

On Jul 13, 6:15 pm, BQ340 wrote:
On 7/13/2011 6:11 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:

id wrote in message
m...
Would it be safe to work under a jacked vehicle, if I use a mechanical
jack like this:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...UboR9xO3bjAhN7...

I wouldn't. The base is too narrow and even bolting it down to a piece
of
steel still leaves one side in tension, if you bump the vehicle at all.
That's not for me.

If it has a rack and a positive lock for the rack, and I mean POSITIVE,
would accept that, but not the narrow base.

If you're going to work under cars and trucks, you really want some
broad-base, really solid standing jacks. They're a lifetime investment.
Mine
are 45 years old.

I second that, as you only get one chance. I use a hydraulic jack backed
up by 2 jackstands & wheel chock plus if I have to take a tire off, that
goes under the frame as well. I had a friend mangle his hand due to a
jack slipping, so I am very paranoid. Torquing on bolts rock a car
around...

MikeB

--
Email is valid but not checked often- Hide quoted text -

I have seen so many hydraulic jacks blow their seals I have lost
count.

I remember one which had a car up on it...I was walking past it when
*BANG* the car hit the ground.

The seal on the jack had just blown.

If someone had been under it..they would have been DEAD.

It happened in less than a second..no time to react.

Except for me to jump when the car hit the ground.

TMT

My brother had a hydraulic HOIST come down - a two-poster. just about
dumped the mini-bus off, while he was working on it.

Obsolete hoist?

What happened to the safety standards with the MoL?

No, the hoist was under inspection at the time. (had valid
inspection).

MOL did not get involved as there was no injury.
Needless to say, ALL the hoists were re-inspected - more stringently
than required by law. Not sure if any defects were found on the rest,
but that hoist had to be completely re-done.