Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Working under a jacked vehicle

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 09:08:59 -0400
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

big snip
I built my first set out of wood. Strong, with a big stop at the end, but
they weighed maybe 50 pounds each. d8-)

Now I use a substantial pair made out of steel. They're not as nice as
yours.

My Dad made these ~35 years ago:

http://www.iserv.net/~lfisk/ramp2.jpg

Nice. They look solid.

They work great, not too heavy and rock solid. You may not see it too
well in the image but they are made like a sandwich. Areas in the center
are open, go clear through.

I've had everything from heavy 4x4 trucks to little foreign puddle
jumpers run up on them...

If anyone tries copying them, I would recommend slightly beveling the
sharp corners a bit where you see it contacts the floor when first
jammed under the tire. Only other gotcha was if the tires and/or ramp
is damp or wet when trying to drive on. Most notably with a
front-wheel drive.

Old friend of mine had a set of two piece ramps. They were really nice
too and I sometimes borrowed them to use along with ours. Then I could
put both the front and back up at the same time. His had removable
ramps so that portion could be moved out of the way while working on
the vehicle. That could be done/added to our design too without a great
deal of difficulty.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b