Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default don't take the beer

On Jul 16, 12:16*pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
Or maybe some Dinkel Acker. That will make your tongue roll up like a
windowshade and your ears will flap like a hummingbird's wings.
Ed Huntress-

I remember it as good but not exceptional. At the Oktoberfest I
usually went to the Spaten tent.

One year they sent me there with three soldiers who were being
rewarded for something, officially with a week to deliver a
typewriter. I was one of the few people who spoke German and could
drive, or function at all off the Army base. We sat down across from
four girls and I started chatting happily with the one opposite me,
then noticed the other three guys and girls all sitting quietly and
frowning. Turns out only the one I was talking to spoke English. We
could NOT get a conversation going among the others, or get them to
join the dancing and singing, Freut Euch des Lebens! What a waste!
There's almost no place I'd rather be, yet they had a miserable time
and wanted to go home early.

The girl I talked to wondered if Americans could tune into the
collective mentality of Germans having fun. Even when drunk and giggly
they all cheered, sang, stood up and swayed etc in perfect unison.

jsw