Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Drilling and brazing a fuel tank

On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 23:07:26 -0400, wrote:

On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 06:05:48 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

On Mon, 11 Jul 2011 21:43:27 -0500, Ignoramus24437
wrote:

I sense a little bit of B/S and scare talk here.

I think that people whose tanks exploded, did nothing to purge them,
had liquids in them, and got punished.

In my case, the tank is completely free of liquids (which dried out
days ago) and the only thing that it has is vapors, if any.

If, say, it has an incredible high concentration of fuel vapors, then,
purging the tank by something like 10x the volume of air (from a home
vacuum cleaner or compressor for a few minutes), would leave, more or
less, nothing as far as vapors are concerned.

The volume of the tank is less than 4 CF, and running my 15 CFM
compressor for just 5 minutes, would provide about 20 times the volume
of air in the tank.

You're probably right. But, I'd use the suspenders and belt approach.
No fuel plus no O2 = double safe.

A garden hose from your car exhaust to the tank only take a couple
minutes.

Karl

A garden hose from the exhaust is NOT going to do the job.

For cripes sake - BORROW a CO2 extinguisher if you are too cheap to
buy one, and get it refilled when you are finished. Your ass is worth
more than 10 bucks!!!!

Many of us use Co2 for mig welding..and it doesnt take much from a mig
tank to purge a large gas tank. Not much at all.

Gunner

--
Maxim 12: A soft answer turneth away wrath.
Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.