Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Drilling and brazing a fuel tank

On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 06:25:02 -0500, jim "sjedgingN0Sp"@m@mwt,net
wrote:

Ignoramus24437 wrote:

I sense a little bit of B/S and scare talk here.

I think that people whose tanks exploded, did nothing to purge them,
had liquids in them, and got punished.

In my case, the tank is completely free of liquids (which dried out
days ago) and the only thing that it has is vapors, if any.

If, say, it has an incredible high concentration of fuel vapors, then,
purging the tank by something like 10x the volume of air (from a home
vacuum cleaner or compressor for a few minutes), would leave, more or
less, nothing as far as vapors are concerned.

The volume of the tank is less than 4 CF, and running my 15 CFM
compressor for just 5 minutes, would provide about 20 times the volume
of air in the tank.

Actualy the common danger of oxyacetylene welding or cutting on a tank
is the potential for accumulating explosive mixtures from the torch
itself. People have blown them selves up cutting on tanks that never
contained any flammable material.

-jim

BS. If you are CUTTING the mixture is extremely lean - high in Oxygen
- and if there is ANY fuel in the container, it is oxidized by the
extra OXYGEN. There is NEVER any leftover acetelene during a cutting
operation. You don't (can't) cut with a carburizing flame