Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Drilling and brazing a fuel tank

On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 06:46:46 -0500, Ignoramus15459

On 2011-07-12, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus24437 fired this volley in
:

I sense a little bit of B/S and scare talk here.

I think that people whose tanks exploded, did nothing to purge them,
had liquids in them, and got punished.

Maybe more mis-information than BS.

Gasoline tanks are repaired or modified commercially every day, with
complete safety.

Empty, wash, dry, bake out, and purge with an inert substance.

If you can't smell the gasoline, there's not enough present to form an
explosive mixture.

I agree with every sentence that you wrote.

PURGE WITH AN INERT SUBSTANCE - is the secret - and KEEP IT FULL.
Water does not count.
You want an inert substance that can absorb and dispurse any traces
of fuel vapour, and any trace of oxygen in the tank.oducing a mixture
that is too weak by an order of magnitude, to burn.

Water can't do this. CO2 can. Argon can. Even Nitrogen can.
If using auto exhaust, you need a large (roughly 2 inch ) hose, a well
warmed up and properly running engine, and several minutes of purge
before starting to weld - with the exhaust still flowing.