Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andrew VK3BFA[_2_] Andrew VK3BFA[_2_] is offline

Default Working under a jacked vehicle

On Jul 15, 2:19*am, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
On Jul 14, 8:25*am, Andrew VK3BFA wrote:

On Jul 14, 8:04*am, Ignoramus23641 ignoramus23...@NOSPAM.

23641.invalid wrote:
Would it be safe to work under a jacked vehicle, if I use a mechanical
jack like this:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...UboR9xO3bjAhN7....

Iggy, I sometimes wonder about you. You propose some strange,
dangerous things, seemingly unaware of the blatantly obvious. The
Traditional, devil-may-care vehicle support here is piles of bricks
stacked up - blocks of wood if available too - *works OK, sort of. And
I think it would work better than whatever it is in the picture you
linked too. If you thought about it real hard, you could probably
wedge it in there somewhere, after you do the bricks. Remember, put
the bricks down with the right side up.

Andrew VK3BFA.

"Blatantly obvious" is only obvious to those of us with previous
experience.

In Ig's past, using one jack may be a very acceptable..and very
dangerous..practice.

If it works, you live another day..if it does not..well dead men don't
talk.

When I grew up, we used gasoline to wash parts...only much later did I
find out how freaking dangerous it is.

I think quite highly of Ig...when he doesn't know..he asks.

That is a sign of an inquistive and inquiring mind...something I
highly admire.

TMT

And, yes, whats obvious to one person is invisible to another - I had
forgotten that, sorry.
And your quite correct TMT - an inquiring mind is a fine thing. But
some things - well, I do wonder. Iggy, I really wish you well, you
have an enthusiasm thats admirable, you get a lot of things done -
hope you are doing something about your back as well, hows it going?
And Iggy - was it you that did his training back in the old USSR? -
trade training, so hazard awareness should have been beaten into you.
Even in Russia.

And, TMT - as an aside, I own an American made washing machine (its
better quality and build than anything local, fantastic bit of
production engineering- massively over-engineered in all the important
bits) and its got a sign on the lid saying "do not put hands into
moving machine." - so, I guess your legislators have decided that for
some people the blatantly obvious is not apparent. You are lucky to
have such people running the country.

Andrew VK3BFA.