Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Welding cast iron

cynic wrote:
On Jul 14, 12:06 pm, Matty F wrote:
On Jul 14, 11:00 pm, cynic wrote:

Cast is VERY difficult to weld properly. the usual way is to slowly
heat the piece up to red hot, weld it with appropriate rods and cool
it down slowly. Unless you know someone with the right skills its
going to be expensive.
I'd be inclined to try brazing then make a shaped clamp plate to go
over the flange and once complete hide it with paint. Is it an exhaust
pipe from some static engine or something else?

The pipe is bolted inside a firebox that's red hot and contains steam
at 110 psi.

In that case I would be inclined to change to a fabricated stainless
steel version. The stainless will resist the flue gases and have a
better long term bursting strength. Patched up cast iron with 110psi
steam inside it isn't something I would want to get too close to.

+1