Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Baker Dave Baker is offline

Default Welding cast iron

"Matty F" wrote in message
I cut up a piece of cast iron to fit the missing lug on this pipe:
http://i52.tinypic.com/35aryqe.jpg
That's a one inch hole in the other lug.

The pipe to start with:
http://i54.tinypic.com/dhekj7.jpg

Some expert welder will weld the lug on. I suppose he will have to
grind bits off the new piece in order to weld right to the middle.
I'll drill a new hole after the welding is finished.
I've not seen cast iron welded before. Anything to worry about?

Yes. Cast iron is a bitch to weld without cracking later. Ideally it needs
to be brought up to close to melting temperature, welded and then cooled
very slowly. Having said that when a threaded boss on an old Marina engine
of mine needed repairing 30 years ago my uncle just filled it with weld with
an old stick welder with some randomly selected welding rod, drilled and
tapped it and it was fine. However it was a solid lump well attached to a
solid engine block. Anything fragile like your pipe is a different kettle of
piscean vertebrates.
--
Dave Baker