Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default Refrigerator Backup

On 7/9/2011 4:07 AM, mike wrote:
wrote:
On Jul 7, 2:09 pm, mike wrote:

When I contemplated the transfer switch, I discovered that my house
has 30 feet of wire between the meter base and the first breaker.
This violates current code, big-time. There's some question about
what changes inside the breaker box might require bringing the whole
service entrance up to current code.

Curious as to what part of the NEC this violates?

Good point. Maybe it's a local thing.
A friend just upgraded his service. They wouldn't let him put
the first breaker more than one stud-spacing away from the service
entrance. Seems they're worried about some contractor driving a
nail thru the cable. The first current limit is on the other side
of the transformer on the pole at 8KV or some such.
Something about arc-fault. If you get an arc started, it just
keeps burning itself back until it reaches a place where the separation
is great enough to extinguish the plasma. The house is well up in flames
long before that happens and there's nothing you can do but watch
it happen...assuming you weren't blinded in the initial flash.

The restriction is not on length of service wires from meter to
disconnect but length of service wires inside the building.

The code section is:
"the service disconnecting means shall be installed at a readily
accessible location either outside ... or inside nearest the point of
entrance of the service conductors." (230.70 A-1)

With minimally protected service conductors you want problems kept on
the outside the house. If the disconnect is distant from the meter the
service is run most the way on the outside the building then inside and
immediately to the disconnect.

Or the disconnect can be adjacent to the meter.

Or the service wires can be under a concrete floor and they are
considered outside the building.

Did you see the post in this thread about using one of the
add-on interlock systems?

As I understand it, the interlock system are not allowed by the code,
but are often "passed". Problem with my box is that the breakers
flip the opposite direction from the breakers anticipated by the
interlock systems. I'd have to have fingers that reach around
the switches and lock out on the outside edge. Other problem is
that there's no room in the box for the extra breakers for the
generator inputs.
It's just much easier/safer to leave it alone.

The interlock system linked to by james should be code compliant. So are
the listed transfer switch units, some of which only handle a few circuits.

Another method that has appeared here before is to install a double pole
double throw switch (not single pole) that switches to an "inlet", which
is the reverse of an outlet. Switch ratings of 15, 20, and 30 amps are
not hard to find. An extension cord from the generator plugs into the
inlet. The switch, technically, would have to be rated to switch between
power sources.

--
bud--