Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Stein Jack Stein is offline

Default Waterproofing plywood: Poly, epoxy....?

On 7/11/2011 10:00 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Jack Stein wrote:

Also, my HD always has good lumber. The biggest problem I see is
pricing. For example, they always sell 2x6's cheaper than the same
grade of 1x6. At first, I thought it was a mistake, I even mentioned
it to a sales guy once. It's been like this for at least a year or
two, so it's on purpose.

You're right Jack - HD does carry a lot of qualtity stuff - and not just
lumber. From EA's few comments, it's pretty clear he just wants to rag on
HD. His choice, but it doesn't make his comments meaningful.

My biggest bitch about HD, Lowe's and big box stores is they seem to
have put all the little local guys out of business. Well, they didn't
put them out of business, we did. I miss my local hardware and lumber
yards, particularly my favorite lumber yard, which always carried all
grades of lumber but a step above the others at a slightly higher price.

The main thing with them is if you don't pay attention, they will rip
you off in a second. Some good stuff at good prices, some good stuff at
bad prices, some bad stuff at bad prices. Lumber I guess is different
at different locales. Mine has good construction grade stuff at
reasonable prices. Any hardwood they sell is top of the line, but you
need to take out a new mortgage to buy it. It's all S4S and I'd grade it
#1 select, so it would be expensive no matter where you bought it. They
don't have any other grade of hard wood.

My understanding is that even reputable power tool companies (Bosch
et al) make HD versions.

EA's "understanding" (whatever that means...) is just wrong. Perhaps EA
should research his "understandings" some.

I dunno, I look at HD tools before I buy them off the net, and they
certainly look the same. My last purchase was a Bosch angle drill.
Looked and feels exactly like the one HD used to carry. I got it with
$25 off and no taxes and free shipping, and no gas driving to HD. So I
saved about $35-40 by buying via Amazon. I guess I'll be putting HD out
of business, just like I put my local HW stores out of business:-(

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com