Posted to alt.home.repair

Default lawn mower repair question

On Jul 11, 1:47*pm, wrote:
On Mon, 11 Jul 2011 04:50:55 -0700 (PDT), jamesgangnc

wrote:
On Jul 9, 4:02*pm, wrote:
On Sat, 9 Jul 2011 01:36:07 -0700 (PDT), Hank
wrote:

On Jul 9, 12:48*am, wrote:

*Be EXTREMELY carefull using starting fluid. Since the engine WILL
start with the primer I, as a mechanic, would NOT use starting fluid.
It is reserved for when you can't get an engine to fire with any other
method.

If you can get the sea foam to get to where the problem is - in the
float bowl, it will GENERALLY do the job - but if the float bowl is
full of gas (or water) that is not getting drwn through the carb
because the jets are clogged, getting the sea foam into the carb
without removing the float bowl can be difficult. SOMETIMES you can
keep the engine running with the primer bulb long enough to get enough
gas through the carb to get the sea-foam to where it can do some good.

If you can get it to the point that it stays running, no matter how
poorly, the sea foam is always a good bet.-

I agree that it is a clogged jet. This is an easy diagnosis since it
will run for a second using the primer bulb. Fuel is obviously getting
to the primer bulb, so therefore the delivery system to the carb is
probably ok. But it could also be a stuck float valve (rare).

Either way, the carb has to be "gone thru" or the carb will clog again
or the valve will stick again. Using Seafoam just won't cut it when
you want to do the job right.

Hank ~~~ not a fan of "mechanic in a can"

As a mechanic, I'll disagree with SeaFoam not "cutting it". It does a
better job, in many cases, than going at it with a fine wire or "tip
cleaner" like a lot of mechanics and wanna-bees do.

It will not harm the jet - and using a bit in the gas on a regular
basis PREVENTS the problem - which even the best "skin and bones"
mechanic can NOT do.- Hide quoted text -

You must have stock in seafoam. *I never use it *Small engines were
designed to work fine on just gas.

Since it starts by priming it the gas is fine.

The carb is messed up. *Most B&S use a conventional float bowl style
carb. *Either the gas is not able to enter the venturi via the jets
from the float bowl or the float valve is preventing the gas from
filling the float bowl. *You might be able to pull the float bowl and
clean it out without removing the carb. *The float and it's needle
valve may be removable with just the bowl off. *You can spray some
carb cleaner up the jets if the bowl comes off. *Also you can check
and see that gas comes out when the float is down. *Otherwise I'd take
the carb off. *Occasionally you can unstick a stuck float by banging a
bit on the side of the carb with something like a small piece of wood
or the handle of a tool so I'll try that on no gas situations.

*No stock - just a LOT of experience with Sea Foam and other additives
over 4 decades as a mechanic.
(automotive, small engine, industrial equipment, farm eqipment,
motorcycle, marine and aviation)- Hide quoted text -

Most additives are snake oil.