Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Some metal content, and wood and fabric....

On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 10:04:33 -0500, Sunworshipper SW@GWNTUNDRA
wrote:

On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 06:11:43 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

Dad let me take off and fly a Cherokee C from Oceanside airport to
Catalina Island and back, but he insisted on landing it himself. (I
had just finished Basic Aviation in high school but hadn't taken any
flying lessons.) I sure wish I'd pursued that direction, but I didn't
want Dad pushing me into the Air Force, in his footsteps. ('Course, it
would have played havoc with my alcoholism at the time, too.) I love
flying, though, and the smaller the better.

So, your an Air Force brat also. I soloed on my 16th birthday. Soon

"Ayup." and "Congrats!", respectively.

as things start going better I want to start building a plane, haven't
figured the style yet. Got to have some loud prop chop and aerobatic
capability though.

Screw props. Go BD-5.
http://www.bd5.com/Expo2002pics/DSCN1223.jpg booful, wot?

Never flown an open cockpit, that would be interesting.

I think it'd be fun once or twice, but I'd rather fly around a bit
faster, and that'd be hell to always be in the wind and weather.

Had the canopy open in a Grumman Tiger at night with a
Canadian friend and use to take up the scared doctor's and attorney's
arocoupes with the canopies back just so ya don't cook, those things
are next to impossible to do anything with BTW.

Same putterer as a Cherokee.

Suppose I'll be asked to do Oshkosh this year again. Just seems
painful and a waist of time to see up close what the loaded are up to.

Aw, c'mon. You know you drool over their expensive toys, despite the
pain. It's fun to see how the other half (80%?) live. Would you pass
up a chance to see, and climb aboard, SpaceShipOne or SpaceShipTwo?

--
Progress is the product of human agency. Things get better because we
make them better. Things go wrong when we get too comfortable, when we