Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Waterproofing plywood: Poly, epoxy....?

On Sat, 09 Jul 2011 18:17:31 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 7/9/2011 5:21 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sat, 09 Jul 2011 14:19:22 -0500, wrote:

For your stated purpose, and IME, your best be would be an APA rated
exterior plywood coated with a water proofing "system" made specifically
for the purpose, like this PolyCoat product :

http://www.bestmaterials.com/PDF_Files/Polydeck_400.pdf

I saw these two products (Reader's Choice Top 100 Products list) in a
remodeling mag this morning: UDF-21
http://www.greenbuildingsupply.com/u...?objectID=6265

http://www.ccaplaygroundsolution.com/ EPL

I wonder how the three compare. Have you used any of them?
What's the difference in durability and/or longevity between the poly,
urethane, and epoxy systems? (if you or anyone else knows)

I used the Polydeck product about five years ago on a raised platform
for AC condenser units that had to be at FF elevation to pass code (an

Mine is a cheap prefab concrete slab they dropped on the ground when
they installed the condenser. I saved a couple hundred by running the
wiring myself, and lighting the unlit attic, too.

Architect's design/plan), although I've seen the platform a couple of
times since, as far as I'm concerned it is simply too early to tell.

That said, it still looked brand new about a year ago ... if you can
extrapolate that to another five years, I would have to say that it was
worthwhile and cost effective, and will most likely make it longer.

My problem with most exterior oil based 'weather resistant' coatings in
this part of the country is the UV/sun just eats 'em alive. That does
not appear to have the usual effect on this product thus far.

With the epoxy sealer and then 4 coats of other films, I sure hope
not.

I've used Superdeck's opaque concrete stain and it still looks brand
new five years later. http://goo.gl/htxaK Pressure wash, prime, and
paint/stain. It goes on like slightly thinned latex paint and is very
nice to work with.

--
One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word is love.
-- Sophocles