Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Waterproofing plywood: Poly, epoxy....?

On Sat, 09 Jul 2011 14:19:22 -0500, Swingman wrote:

wrote in message

Will any part of it be directly exposed to the weather?

All of it, year-round..

That said, there is really no reason to use indoor plywood outdoors, and
to do so will ultimately be unsatisfactory regardless of the covering.

Well, this is the crux of my point. If indoor ply WERE sufficiently
"encased" in poly, or some epoxy/plastic coating, COULD it become
weather-proof? And at what cost?

For your stated purpose, and IME, your best be would be an APA rated
exterior plywood coated with a water proofing "system" made specifically
for the purpose, like this PolyCoat product :

http://www.bestmaterials.com/PDF_Files/Polydeck_400.pdf

I saw these two products (Reader's Choice Top 100 Products list) in a
remodeling mag this morning: UDF-21
http://www.greenbuildingsupply.com/u...?objectID=6265

http://www.ccaplaygroundsolution.com/ EPL

I wonder how the three compare. Have you used any of them?
What's the difference in durability and/or longevity between the poly,
urethane, and epoxy systems? (if you or anyone else knows)

--
One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word is love.
-- Sophocles