Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Refrigerator Backup

On Jul 9, 9:18*am, mike wrote:
wrote:
On Jul 9, 5:07 am, mike wrote:
When I contemplated the transfer switch, I discovered that my house
has 30 feet of wire between the meter base and the first breaker.
This violates current code, big-time. *There's some question about
what changes inside the breaker box might require bringing the whole
service entrance up to current code.
Curious as to what part of the NEC this violates? *
Good point. *Maybe it's a local thing.
A friend just upgraded his service. *They wouldn't let him put
the first breaker more than one stud-spacing away from the service
entrance. *Seems they're worried about some contractor driving a
nail thru the cable. The first current limit is on the other side
of the transformer on the pole at 8KV or some such.

If that is the concern, metal conduit between the meter
and panel would solve it. *Seems you have some very
strange inspectors. *Where is this?

Code doesn't have much room for "would solve it".
It's all about rules and compliance.

A good start would be to be able to cite the rules.
From what I've seen so far, what you've claimed isn't backed
up by the NEC. The NEC has no rule that says the
panel breaker must be within one stud bay of the
service meter. You claimed that the local concern
might be with someone driving a nail into the wiring
between the meter and panel. In
which case, that would be solved by using metal
conduit and one would think that if that were the
local concern, the local inspector
would be OK with using metal conduit as a solution.

I can assure you that there is plenty of wiring going
on in Oreqon and everywhere else where the panel
breaker isn't one stud bay away from the meter.

It would seem to me the real problem is someone
needs to sit down with the inspector, the NEC and
find out exactly what the issues are, rather than
speculating. You claimed that having 30 ft
of distance between the meter and the panel
breaker violates current code "big time". IF
it does, the inspector should be able to point
to the NEC or local rule that specifically says
that. Which is only reasonable, because if
30 ft is no good, then what is? 20? 10?
5? You have a right to know.

Trying to understand is futile.

If that were the case, it would be very hard to wire
up anything, would it not? Most inspectors
I've talked to were willing to explain exactly what
the issue is, the reqts, etc. and possible ways
to solve their concerns. Did you actually
talk to the local inspector about this?

Arguing with the inspector is futile.
Just comply.

Before you can comply, you need to understand
what the actual rules are.

Oregon
I've got no facts, just the word of someone I trust.

And that may be the whole problem.

Something about arc-fault. *If you get an arc started, it just
keeps burning itself back until it reaches a place where the separation
is great enough to extinguish the plasma. *The house is well up in flames
long before that happens and there's nothing you can do but watch
it happen...assuming you weren't blinded in the initial flash.

As I understand it, the interlock system are not allowed by the code,
but are often "passed".

Based on what? *Interlockit says they meet NEC. *I've heard lots
of people using and recommending them here, including
electricians and haven't heard of any being failed.

So, we're in agreement?

No, we're not. You said the Interlockit system does not
meet code, but is often passed. I said:

1 - Interlockit specifically says their product meets the NEC

2 - Plenty of people here have reported using them,
including electricians, at least some of them have been
inspected, and I've never heard of a single one being turned
down by an inspector.

3 -I'd like to see what specifically in the NEC leads
you to believe the Interlockkit product is in violation?

*Problem with my box is that the breakers
flip the opposite direction from the breakers anticipated by the
interlock systems. *I'd have to have fingers that reach around
the switches and lock out on the outside edge.

What panel do you have?

* Other problem is
that there's no room in the box for the extra breakers for the
generator inputs.
It's just much easier/safer to leave it alone.

Could you replace a couple with half size breakers?

At the risk of repeating myself

* It's just much easier/safer to leave it alone.

One, I don't see any safety issue. Two, it
sounds more like you just took some word of
mouth from a friend and called it quits as opposed
to looking at NEC and/or consulting with the local inspector.