Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default Another Fork-Lift Accident

wrote in message
FFS....just spot how many basic rules of fork-lift safety are being
violated in this video.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=b0c_1310175148

The guy in the "man cage" wasn't killed, which was certainly lucky for
him. I wasn't aware that a "man cage" type device was even permitted
under OSHA rules.....in fact, I doubt that it is.
Dave

The operator is running around with his lift extended. The load should be
4" off the deck, then lifted when he reaches the work point. He's going too
fast. He turns too sharply.

The "man cage" is allowed. We used them a lot in the convention industry,
but only certain operators were allowed to run a lift with men in the
basket. Each man had to be tied off. No one rode in the basket underway,
but entered when the lift reached the work point. The "man cage" looks to
be two story contraption, probably shop made. That added to the top
heavyness. The forklift is of a small variety with tiny wheels. The cage
is about as big as the forklift, but surely not as heavy. But do the
physics with leverage, centrifugal force, etc.

The causes are simple. Stages extended while driving, excessive speed, too
sharp of a turn. The operator surely was either an idiot, or a newbie, or
on drugs, or all three.

Steve, OSHA certified up to 10,000# lift truck operator.