Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Stuart Wheaton Stuart Wheaton is offline

Default Another Fork-Lift Accident

On 7/9/2011 5:12 AM, DougC wrote:
On 7/9/2011 1:49 AM, Steve wrote:

wrote in message ...
FFS....just spot how many basic rules of fork-lift safety are being
violated in this video.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=b0c_1310175148

The guy in the "man cage" wasn't killed, which was certainly lucky for
him. I wasn't aware that a "man cage" type device was even permitted
under OSHA rules.....in fact, I doubt that it is.
Dave

What OSHA rules? That is Plymouth England!

Steve R.

Did OSAH rules on these things change [relatively] lately?

The (USA) grocery store chain I work for sent forklift man-platforms out
to all the stores a few years ago. They got used only very occasinally.
Usually the stock clerks would just get the whole pallet down, since
they'd need a bunch of whatever was on it anyway.

Then after about a year, corporate HQ sent an email around not to use
them anymore. So now every store has a bright-orange,
nearly-new-condition forklift platform sitting in the storage room. And
has for the past, oh, five years or so.

From the looks of it, it is functionally not very different from a
Genie AWP type lift. The problem in the video was taking a fairly
high-speed turn with a load elevated on the forks. IF you must move
with a man in the basket, you do so at a creep. That lift would have
toppled no matter what load was up high. Not a tool problem, an
operator problem.

http://www.craneandforkliftattachments.com/page7.htm

Seems to be a legal device in the UK/Ireland