Posted to alt.home.repair

Default lawn mower repair question

On Fri, 8 Jul 2011 20:01:43 -0400, "RogerT"
wrote:

"PaulD" wrote in message
I am helping a neighbor with his push mower. He has a 6.5 HP Briggs
and Stratton engine.
When I prime the engine with gas using the little button on the mower,
the engine starts up with no problem, but then quickly peters out. Is
this likely a carberator problem? or a fuel supply problem? Are there
any quick fixes that we can try.
I am willing to give him a hand, but I don't really want to get into
rebuilding his carb or something like that. I might be willing to
clean the fuel line. I didn't notice any fuel filter on this unit,
but I might not be looking at the right spot.
Thanks,
Paul

This is a long shot, but I once had a lawn mower that did that. Somehow, I
think the air filter was completely clogged with dirt so the air intake
wasn't working correctly. I removed the air filter and would start and
continue to run, unlike before I took out the filter. I then cleaned the
air filter and it worked okay.

Good thing to check anyway - but generally in THAT situation, the
primer won't make it run because it's already too rich.