Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Villa Bob Villa is offline

Default lawn mower repair question

On Jul 8, 4:43*pm, PaulD wrote:
I am helping a neighbor with his push mower. *He has a 6.5 HP Briggs
and Stratton engine.
When I prime the engine with gas using the little button on the mower,
the engine starts up with no problem, but then quickly peters out. *Is
this likely a carberator problem? or a fuel supply problem? *Are there
any quick fixes that we can try.
I am willing to give him a hand, but I don't really want to get into
rebuilding his carb or something like that. *I might be willing to
clean the fuel line. *I didn't notice any fuel filter on this unit,
but I might not be looking at the right spot.
Thanks,
Paul

If it has a paper air filter and it gets soaked with oil it will
starve for air. See if it continues to run with the filter removed. If
it has a carb bowl try replacing the brass screw the holds the bowl
on. That way you can change it while holding the bowl in place.
(You'll need to catch the draining gas in something!) . The is a large
and a small hole in the bowl screw that meters the gas. The small hole
is most likely plugged.