Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Refrigerator Backup (Prius battery)

On Jul 8, 9:58*am, wrote:
On Fri, 8 Jul 2011 06:29:46 -0700 (PDT), jamesgangnc

wrote:
On Jul 8, 9:12*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
They don't have 12 volt battery under the hood for starting?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"jamesgangnc" wrote in message

I am actually planning to use a 1.5 kw inverter connected
to a Prius.
It can run my frig including start-up.

You are aware that the current generation prius battery is
200v, the
early generations were 280v? *Have you found an inverter for
that?

They have a 12v battery for accessories. *I think it's been pretty
well established that a 12v car battery won't run much of anything for
any period. *A fridge will be 4-500 watts when running. *That's about
35 amps at 12v,

Off the hybrid battery it would be more like a couple amps. *Problem
then is finding an inverter that works at the hybrid battery voltage.
And since volages on hybrids varies pretty widely it would *be a good
idea to find one with a wide supply range so that it works with your
next hybrid. *I'm thinking that the inverter costs for this
theoretical project is now in the thousands.

I just responded in the other thread, but I plan to use 12 volts, not
the higher traction battery voltage. *The car uses a DC to DC
converter to keep the 12 volt battery charged and starts its engine
periodically to keep the traction battery charged. *The 2004 to 2009
model can supply 1000 watts continuously while the 2010 can supply
1500 watts. *Other have used the traction battery for this, but I
don't want to modify the car.

To answer another question, the 12 volt battery is in the trunk making
it easy to directly attach to it and store the inverter there.- Hide quoted text -

Then you are basically using your car as a generator. Anyone can do
that. It's a rather cumbersome solution but does have the virtue of
simplicity. The food in my fridge is not a real big worry for me. If
we loose power for a couple days sitting in the dark and sometimes
cold and cooking everything on the grill gets old fast. I have a 4kw
generator I paid $500 for. It runs my entire house. I backfeed. We
use the tv, the computers, the lights, the microwave, etc. In the
winter we have central heat.