Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Means of dropping watch battery voltage by .2 Volts

"D" wrote in message
eb.com...
On 7/7/2011 6:42 PM, Arfa Daily wrote:

"D" wrote in message
b.com...
On 7/7/2011 2:13 AM, Arfa Daily wrote:
Both myself and Gareth are from the right side, and it seems to me that
you might have fallen into the usenet 'language trap', and are taking
the word "crap" to have an entirely different level of meaning...
Stop being so sensitive, and accept the remark for what it was. A
simple
throw-away bit of leftpondian humour. Not a pop at you specifically, or
your hobby.

Arfa

More what I found troubling and what I was attempting to correct was
the ignorance regarding the significance of these timepieces, and the
very impressive technical achievement they represent, things which
users of a NG such as this one should find interesting. In terms of
the "crap" reference, you may be right about how the word is perceived
in different cultures, but if you and your friend made a bad choice of
words, why is it *ME* (and at least one other poster who also
commented on the word) who have "fallen into the usenet language
trap". Perhaps you should stop being so INsensitive.

Dan

Oh dear. Of course we understand the significance of them and the huge
technical advance that they represented, which is what made Gareth's use
of the word "crap" (with the British accent of meaning), funny. I accept
that this is a very subtle form of humour, and perhaps one that as an
American, you don't understand. And I don't mean that to be taken as an
offensive comment to you in particular, or Americans in general. I watch
a lot of American TV, and visit America regularly, and have done for
many years, so understand at least a little about your variety of
humour. I'm sure that you would have to agree that it is predominantly
straightforward and obvious - sort of 'verbal slapstick' if you like.
Sometimes that works for British audiences, and sometimes it doesn't,
because we don't understand what the 'joke' is. By the same token,
British humour is often very subtle, and can hinge even on the way a
single word is pronounced, or contextually used. I'm sure that sometimes
this works for Americans, and sometimes it doesn't, exactly the same as
with us and your humour. In this particular exchange, Gareth's attempt
at humour hasn't worked for you, or William or Jeff, so as you are all
Americans, this has to tell us that it's a variety of humour that you
have difficulty with, which is fair enough, and why Gareth immediately
apologised. And there it should have lain, except that William won't let
it go.

You also misunderstand the use of my phrase "the usenet language trap".
We all fall into it from both sides of the pond. Occasionally, some
little incident like this one. 'takes off' in this way, but mostly,
regular posters on here know the problem well, and if anyone does bother
to make a comment, it usually dies out within a post or two. As I have
not seen you posting on here before - and I may be wrong on that, or you
might be a long-time lurker - I assumed that you were new to a group
that has many regulars on both sides of the pond, and had not come
across these linguistic nuances before, and that was the reason that you
had become so upset by what most would have seen as a throw-away comment.

Every now and then, William jumps on something like this, and worries it
like a dog with a bone, as he is doing right now.

As to asking me to stop being insensitive, I really think that you
should stop and consider that remark, and perhaps think how you might
feel about me telling you to stop being *so* sensitive. This is usenet.
We are all grownups, and sometimes, grownups have spats. It's life.
There is no moderation as such on here, and it is not a forum or Google
group or a subset of any other net-based front end trawler. If you
honestly think that I am being insensitive, then just carry on posting.
Sooner or later, for no apparent reason, you will set light to one of
the people on here that can be really offensive. Then you will
understand all about sensitivity ...

I say again, that what was intended was humour. Nothing against you, or
your watches, or the Bulova technology. Gareth has already apologised
for his remark, and I likewise apologise if you found my similar attempt
at humour, outside your understanding, and hence offensive. Now can we
please leave it at that ? And that especially includes you, William.

Arfa

Like I read all that. You really do have a lot of spare time, don't you?

OK. You want to do offensive ? You're a half baked **** who doesn't want to
understand. So I say to you, **** right off, and take your pony watches with
you. Ignorant arsehole.

Arfa