Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers.house
Dan Musicant Dan Musicant is offline

Default New (house) heating system... is this a good/great deal? -- Follow up call from guy who inspected my house

On Thu, 07 Jul 2011 15:43:59 -0500, Hell Toupee wrote:

:On 7/7/2011 1:54 PM, Dan Musicant wrote:
:
: Yes, that alone has me thinking I have to get some contractors over
: here. Next time he calls me (probably in a couple of weeks) I will ask
: him for some phone numbers of customers I can call for references. I
: have a feeling he won't provide that. However, I think I should call the
: utility company and the state, if possible, to ask about the program to
: which he says his company is the exclusive access.
:
:A few years ago I got a card in the mail from a local organization
:that said it had two programs to provide energy-related repairs and
:upgrades to qualified homeowners, and suggested I contact them to
:learn all the details. Turned out the programs were gov't funded,
:limited to properties that, upon inspection and following an energy
:audit, were deemed to be in good condition, yet would benefit from
:energy-related improvements. There were additional income/home value
:guidelines that had to be met.

Interestingly, this company and the guy they sent out did not ask me
about my income. Possibly, they already know that I am already qualified
for a cut on my utility bills (based on my income) and I was therefore
pre-screened.
:
:Anyhow: the program didn't work with an exclusive contractor. I had to
:get three bids, and anyone who wanted the work could bid on it. I
:can't imagine a state-funded program getting away with limiting its
:work to any particular contractor, because the others would
:justifiably cry foul. I think they'd do the same if the local energy
:company played favorites, too. So I'd certainly ask the state and
:utility about this - and you might ask if there are any (other/legit)
rograms that you might qualify for. If this is some sort of scam, you
:might still find a program that'll help you out.

Either it's limited to this company or the guy was lieing. I'm going to
make some calls and find out!
:
:In my case, they had two programs available: qualified
:homeowners/properties could either get an outright grant of funds for
:authorized improvements, or get a no-interest deferred loan that was
:fully forgiven after ten years _if_ the homeowner continued to own and
ccupy the home for the duration of the loan. If the home was sold
rior to the end of the loan term, you have to pay a pro-rated amount:
:90% after one year, 50% after five years, etc. These types of programs
:are pretty common across the country, so it can't hurt to call your
:city and county and inquire if they have such a program.

I'm going to see what I can come up with. About 6-7 years ago I found
out about a program with the city I live in (Berkeley, CA) where for low
income homeowners, I could apply for interest free loans, up to two of
$35,000 each. I qualified and used some of the $70,000 allocated to me
to tear off and replace my roof. It had gotten to the point where it was
imperative, it not looking like the patching with roofing tar that I'd
been doing personally for a few years was going to get me through
another winter! I got several bids and picked one that looked good and
cost effective. That cost about $18,000, and it happened at the end of
2005. I tapped this again around 3-4 years ago when I suddenly needed a
trenchless sewer pipe replacement during which it was revealed that I
needed my water main replaced. Again, I found the company that did the
work.

So, I owe $27,000 right now, interest free until I either sell the house
or turn 90 years old. If I want to use that again I believe I have to
reapply. Not sure it's there for me until I talk to them, which I
haven't done since the sewer work. It is money I have to repay
eventually. Maybe there's something else, though, maybe something
involving the utility or a state program, or maybe county, as you say. I
haven't heard of a county program, but it can't hurt to inquire.

Email: dmusicant at pacbell dot net